● University of San Diego, J.D., 1994
● University of Arizona, B.A., with honors, Psychology, 1991
● Best Lawyers in America© – Criminal Defense: General Practice
● Team of the Year (Jail Wait Litigation), Colorado Lawyers Committee
● Best Law Firms for Colorado Criminal Defense: General Practice by U.S.
News & World Report (2018, 2019)
● Best Law Firms for Colorado Criminal Defense: White-Collar by U.S.
News & World Report (2018, 2019)
● 5280 Top Lawyers (2015-2019)
● Top 100 Lawyers in Colorado, Colorado Super Lawyers (2014-2019)
● Top 50 Women Lawyers in Colorado, Colorado Super Lawyers
● Past Chair Award, Colorado Lawyers Committee (2018)
● Raising the Bar Honoree, Colorado Women’s Bar Association
● Top Lawyer in Denver & Beyond, 5280 Magazine Top Lawyers
● Top 100 Trial Lawyer, American Trial Association
● AV Rated 5.0, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
● Chair, Colorado Lawyers Committee, Executive Committee, 2016-2018
● Co-Chair with NACDL, National Criminal Defense Forum on
Forensic Mental Health & the Law, 2013
● Colorado Lawyers Committee, Co-Chair Criminal Justice/Mental Health
● Colorado Criminal Defense Bar, Board Member, 2013-2017
● Colorado Criminal Defense Bar Member, 2011-present
● Colorado Women’s Bar Association Member, 2017-present
● Capitol Hill Community Services, Board Member, 2005-present
● 18th Judicial District Mental Health Court Project, Legal Co-Chair, 2008
● Department of Human Services Competency Committee, Legal Task
PRIOR EXPERT TESTIMONY:
● December 2018, Sanchez v. Detectives Duffy and Mykes, 11-CV-01945,
Criminal Defense Expert in Criminal Competency
● October 2019, Barrister’s Best “Best Criminal Defense Lawyer,” Law Week Colorado (2019)
Iris Eytan of Eytan Nielsen LLC is one of the leading Colorado lawyers practicing in high-profile criminal defense litigation. She is well known as an aggressive Denver lawyer and for her unrelenting pursuit of justice.
As a highly experienced Colorado criminal defense attorney, Iris has tried more than 50 cases to trial. Most recently, her work as counsel in the jury trial of Tom Fallis caught the attention of the national and international media. Mr. Fallis was wrongfully charged with the murder of his wife. Along with their legal team, Iris Eytan and her partner Dru Nielsen, secured an acquittal by jury in this highly publicized case.
Iris’ practice is focused on the aggressive defense of crimes including homicide, serious assault, Title IX disciplinary proceedings, sexual offenses, sexual violence and criminal cases involving mental health defenses and issues. She is also experienced in handling cases that are under investigation and has successfully convinced the prosecution to drop potential criminal charges against her client. Iris also has special knowledge of the disciplinary process that male college students face when accused of sexual misconduct.
Iris Eytan is a frequent lecturer, expert and consultant on issues applicable to criminal law, litigation techniques and how criminal defense intersects with mental health. For many years, Iris has been invited to speak before judges, lawyers, doctors, national conferences, bar associations and universities on these topics.
Iris has an active pro bono practice that is focused on institutional change on behalf of people with mental illness and other under-represented communities. She also holds one of the most visible volunteer positions in Denver law as the Chair of the Colorado Lawyers Committee. She was elevated to this position after years of pro bono advocacy and leadership as an Executive Board Member and leader of multiple legal task forces.
She has received numerous accolades including year after year being in the Best Lawyers in America, being named the Top 100 Lawyers in Colorado’s Super Lawyers, and Top Lawyer in the Above and Beyond in Colorado’s 5280 Magazine. In 2017, Iris Eytan and her partner, Dru Nielsen, were featured as the cover story of Colorado Super Lawyers magazine. The article was focused on their trial tactics and excellent results in Colorado criminal defense cases.