● J.D., University of Colorado – 1997
● B.A., University of California at Los Angeles – 1994
Magna Cum Laude
● 2015 – Founding Partner, Eytan Nielsen LLC
● 2007-2015 – Partner, Reilly Pozner LLP
● 1997-2007 – Colorado Deputy State Public Defender
● 5280 Top Lawyers (2017-2021)
● U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms in America©, Colorado Criminal Defense: General Practice (2018-2020)
● U.S. News & World Report’s Best Law Firms in America©, Colorado
Criminal Defense: White-Collar (2018-2020)
● Best Lawyers in America © – Criminal Defense: White Collar (2013-2021)
● Case of the Year – Colorado Trial Lawyers Association: 2018
(Announced May 2019)
● Top 100 Lawyers in Colorado, Colorado Super Lawyers (2016-2021)
● Top 50 Women Lawyers in Colorado, Colorado Super Lawyers (2014-2021)
● Colorado Super Lawyer, Colorado Super Lawyers (2012-2021)
● Colorado Rising Star, Colorado Super Lawyers (2010-2011)
● AV Preeminent® Rating, Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review
● Rated 10.0 out of 10.0, Avvo
● Colorado Criminal Defense Bar
● National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers
● Member of National Women’s White Collar Defense Association
Dru Nielsen has been recognized as one of the top criminal defense attorneys in Colorado. Since graduating from law school in 1997, Dru has devoted her entire career to aggressively defending individuals accused of committing crimes. While Dru has won dozens of “not guilty” verdicts at trial, her unique ability to successfully resolve serious cases prior to trial has also earned the respect of clients and opponents, alike.
Dru’s practice focuses on criminal defense at all stages of the proceedings, including before the filing of charges. In her 25 years of experience, Dru has aggressively defended individuals accused of a vast range of charges including murder, sexual assault, assault, domestic violence, organized crime, theft, fraud, and drug possession and sales. In 2016, Dru and her partner, Iris Eytan, achieved a not guilty verdict in the high-profile murder case of People v. Tom Fallis. In 2020, Dru and Iris again achieved a not-guilty verdict for their client in a First Degree Murder trial in Denver, Colorado.
In People v. Micah Kimball, Dru and her partner, Iris Eytan, exonerated Mr. Kimball after a two-week jury trial during Covid. Mr. Kimball was falsely accused and charged with Murder in the 1st Degree. Mr. Kimball served 67 days in jail before Dru and Iris convinced the judge to release him. In the 10 months leading up to trial, Dru and Iris found that the Denver prosecutors withheld the expert opinions of both the Deputy Director of the Crime Lab and the Lead Homicide Detective. They had determined that Mr. Kimball’s fiancé’s single gunshot wound was
self-inflicted. The Judge sanctioned the prosecutors for their misconduct.
For a decade, Dru honed her skills in the courtroom as a Colorado Deputy State Public Defender. Dru left the public defender’s office in 2007 to join Iris Eytan and Larry Pozner in the criminal division of Reilly Pozner. In 2015, Dru and her longtime criminal defense partner, Iris Eytan, formed Eytan Nielsen, LLC with the goal of providing the highest level of representation and service to those facing allegations of wrongdoing.
As a mother of two boys, Dru is particularly passionate about defending boys and men wrongly accused of domestic violence or sexual misconduct in both university disciplinary and criminal proceedings.
Dru Nielsen and Iris Eytan have been recognized for their outstanding representation in the area of Criminal Defense including Best Law Firms, Best Lawyers in America, Top 100 Colorado Super Lawyers, and Top 50 Women Super Lawyers. In 2017, the high-profile criminal defense work of Eytan Nielsen LLC was chosen as the cover story of Colorado Super Lawyers magazine. The focus of the article was on the great results in Colorado criminal defense cases that the firm secures because of their tenacious trial strategies.